On the de Wolan`s plan and on the plan of 1796, barracks – are a "P"-shaped building, which is located right of the exit from the fortress. Length of the main building – is 44 fathoms (90 meters), of outhouses - is 47.5 meters, and width of the housing – is about sixteen and a half meters. And now, after a month of work, despite the storms and rains, at the excavation number 9 we found two strictly parallel to each other foundations, located at a distance of more than thirteen feet apart. It seems to be not entirely consistent with the plan of 1796, but it is for the better. Because now we know how looked facades of the barracks.
The matter is that at the plans of the 18th century the contours of the gable roofs are outlined. This is a first thing. But lots of travelers, going through the newly acquired lands of Novorossiysk, noted that during the construction such small fortresses used local architectural traditions. This is the second.
What is the conclusion? Only that the barracks was built in the "Moldovan" style: with the removal of roof edges beyond the perimeter walls and reliance of these roof at the rows of columns along the facades of buildings. It is pure ergonomics it is very hot in this region and the sun is up 300 days a year. "Removed" roofs (and the removement is from meter up to two meters on each side of the building) create additional shade. And it hides from the rain which is also relevant for these region - and we feel this relevance during the rainy summer of 2013.
And now, there is only a little bit left to see the exact location of the building: to dig along the inner side of the wall and find a corner of the structure. And here it is "Our Kaserne!"