Adzhiderskaya (Ovidiopolska) fortress - is located on the left bank of the Dniester estuary, opposite from Ackermann. After the edict of the Empress Catherine II to join Ochakovo region (01/26/1792) F.P. de Volan developed the project and cost a plan of construction of the fortress
In March and July of the same year, Catherine II has signed two decree`s concerning the fortress. September 20, Ekaterynoslavsky Governor-General V. Kakhovsky dispatched 160 soldiers to Adzhider to begin excavations that were conducted by " rotational basis " by soldiers of different regiments. Military engineer E. H. Foerster supervised the construction . The border along the line through Ochakov - Hadzhibey – Adzhider , was guarded by the Cossacks of Ekaterinoslavsky troops , and pedestrian Cossack team was placed by the Adjider. 21/10/1795 Admiral IM de Ribas has raised the imperial standard over the fortress, although some work was carried out here until 1800.
Fortress came down to the shore of firth by three fortified terraces. The upper part area of 12-14 hectares had the shape of a rectangle with two bastions by the plan, one of which (North) is well preserved. Inside there were one-story barracks, arsenal, guardhouse, house for officers and parade ground. During 1803-1805, Germans who arrived to settle in the colony of Libentalsky District, were temporarily housed in the fortress. In the inventory of the fortress in 1835 are named: the commandant's house, kitchen, cottage of manor serfs, outbuilding, barracks, a guardhouse, powder storages and brick-kiln. In 1848 castle was put up for sale and next year it was bought for 3,001 rubles by Odessa merchant Alexander Domenico. So, fortifications, on which were spent more than 190 thousand rubles, has never been used in combat.
For many decades birthday of Adzhiderska Fortress – June 25 by the old style ,or July 6, 1793 by the new style - is considered the official birthday of the Ovidiopol village. There is even a legend that at this solemn event was A.V. Suvorov himself. However, it was found that the general was really there at least twice, but at other times - in January 1793 and May 1794's.
Preview of the archaeological tour by visiting this page