Adzhider (Hadjider Gadzhider etc.; Turkic - the bitter Valley) - town and port based in the Ottoman Empire. First mentioned 10/13/1758, and then in the during 1764-1765 years as a port with warehouses of grain intended for import to Istanbul and the Crimea
During the Russo-Turkish War of 1768-1774. town was burned, by Zaporozhye Cossacks 07.11.1770, that formed part of combat team of the Russian Army of Prince Prozorovskiy. In 1784 it was described by the French military engineer and topographer-Lafitte Clave:
"GadzhiDere is located on the left bank of the river, in front of her gulf Ackermann. It is crossed by the stream, from which the town got its name. They say that it was bigger than Ackermann, but destroyed by Russian forces during the last war and was not restored to its previous state".
In 1791, FP de Volan wrote:
"Location of Adzhider obviously was very appealing during its heyday"...
The ruins of what was left of the city, are about three and a half miles in circumference ... Moldovans who live in Kalaglee that is 5 miles from here, remember Adzhider as an earthly paradise, and especially praise the wine that was made here, considering it the best in all of Moldavia and Bessarabia. Adzhider was the largest city in the province after Ochakov and had a significant export market of wheat and livestock (mainly of sheep) in Constantinople…
Adzhider always served as a drop-off point for the Turks and interract with Hadzhibey. In 1792, once again laid in ruins. Upon walking Ochakovo region (Bug-Dniester) into the Russian Empire (beginning in 1792) they built Adzhider fortress, and a place became known as Ovidiopol (January 1795).