Francis P. De Wolan (20/09/1752, Antwerp - 11.30.1818, St. Petersburg) - Brabant nobleman. Since the end of 1787, he served in the Russian Army as a military engineer. Member of Russian-Turkish war of 1787 1791g.g.
The first designer and architect of Nikolaev, Voznesensk, Odessa (Gadzhibeevskoy fortress, the port and the city), Novocherkassk, Tiraspol (fortress), Ovidiopol (Adzhiderskoy fortresses and cities 1795g.g 1792.), The first engineer in the armies of G.A. Potemkin and A.V. Suvorov.
March 25, 1791, he was honored with the Order of St. George of 4-th degree. Around this time, Admiral de Ribas and engineer-colonel de Wolan were ordered to explore thoroughly the coast mouth of the Dnieper and the Black Sea, to measure the current raids and bays and elect a convenient place for the port. At such point, was elected Gadzhibey fortress, which had just been conquered by the Turks, by the order of the Catherine, in 1794, she named the city, and it was commanded to make a military harbor with merchant piers.
The plans of the city and harbor compiled de Wolan, were awarded by the highest approval, and under his leadership, it had been ordered to produce all the work which was started immediately. "Office of the buildings in the city and Gadzhibeysky port", whose director was de Wolan, was established for the production of all the buildings under the command of Suvorov. Spaces for construction were allocated for an everlasting possession, private individuals, and as a result, Franz P. received a piece of land. Work was done very well under his leadership and in 1796 was finished, after that the city was named Odessa, and de Wolan received the Order of St.. Vladimir of the 2nd degree. At the same time, he created the first Atlas of the land and its hydrographic and topographic description. They are referred to Bugaz, Buzinovatoe, Kalagliya, Kalagliyskaya and others, F.P. de Wolan has developed several plans for the future Ovidiopol, made an inventory of ancient tombs found in the construction of the fortress (see Tomb of Ovid), which was published by academics P. Pallas and M. Guthrie.