Log in Register

Login to your account

Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *

Hooray, we found the barracks!

As it is known, 160 soldiers were first sent for construction of the Ovidiopol fortress, and then there were constantly quartered up to four infantry battalions, plus "loyal" Cossacks. It is therefore quite natural that the main building in the fortress (along with the arsenal-warehouse) was the barracks.

On the de Wolan`s plan and on the plan of 1796, barracks – are a "P"-shaped building, which is located right of the exit from the fortress. Length of the main building – is 44 fathoms (90 meters), of outhouses - is 47.5 meters, and width of the housing – is about sixteen and a half meters. And now, after a month of work, despite the storms and rains, at the excavation number 9 we found two strictly parallel to each other foundations, located at a distance of more than thirteen feet apart. It seems to be not entirely consistent with the plan of 1796, but it is for the better. Because now we know how looked facades of the barracks.

The matter is that at the plans of the 18th century the contours of the gable roofs are outlined. This is a first thing. But lots of travelers, going through the newly acquired lands of Novorossiysk, noted that during the construction such small fortresses used local architectural traditions. This is the second.

What is the conclusion? Only that the barracks was built in the "Moldovan" style: with the removal of roof edges beyond the perimeter walls and reliance of these roof at the rows of columns along the facades of buildings. It is pure ergonomics it is very hot in this region and the sun is up 300 days a year. "Removed" roofs (and the removement is from meter up to two meters on each side of the building) create additional shade. And it hides from the rain which is also relevant for these region - and we feel this relevance during the rainy summer of 2013.

And now, there is only a little bit left to see the exact location of the building: to dig along the inner side of the wall and find a corner of the structure. And here it is "Our Kaserne!"

Sergey Sudnik

vk facebook tw tube rss google1111 odniklassniki

Внимание!!! Файл sape.php не обнаружен. Проверьте правильность установки кода Sape.




Visit to Fortress in Odessa | Travel to Odessa | Weekend in Adzhiderskaya fortressEarl Pototskyy in the history of Ovidiopol | Center of historical tourism and practical archeology "eXteam" is looking forward to cooperate with investors | Offer for travel agents | Proposal for volunteers | How to get discount | archeology and travel | welcome to adzhider fortress | The Legend of Nogay | Archaeological tourism in Odessa in search of treasure | Tourism in Odessa. Start of the expedition | The first finds of the Expedition 53 | The intermediate results. 3d week of the expedition | Odessa tour operators visited the Adzhider | One day of expedition. Looking from the outside | Adzhidersky Museum: at the beginning of the glorious history | We found the barracks | The strength is not in stones | The tomb of OvidBoris Letstsano - The Forgotten hero of Lyman | Adzhiderska fortress in the historical documents. Joseph de Ribas | Dumskaya about us  | Historical tourism or cultural excursions to the Odessa region | Treasures of the Odessa region № 1. Gold of Attila | Gold of Haidamaks | The treasure of Borodino | Contact for travel to OdessaPolish delegation visited Expedition 53 | Ukrainian painters visiting the Expedition 53New Russia. History of the region | Francis P. De WolanChildren's summer campsMangazeya - Myth or Reality?  | eXteam Visiting Extreme party | fortress in press | Geography of treasuresFestival of tourismmap or the metal detector? | Mikhailovskaya (Sarmatian) Princess | Orlovsky treasure